For the Carnival of 1819, some exotic animals were brought to Venice, including an Indian elephant, exhibited in a menagerie in Riva degli Schiavoni. When, after the celebrations, an attempt was made to get the animal onto the boat that was supposed to take it back to the mainland, it ran amok, running over and killing the guardian and starting a dramatic flight through the streets of Venice, chased by Austrian soldiers who unloaded ” on the great beast several shots”. Arrived at the church of Sant’Antonin, the elephant broke down the door and took refuge there. Then, with the Patriarch’s permission, the soldiers punched a hole in the side wall of the church and from there shot it to death with a small cannon. The corpse, purchased by the University of Padua, was transported to the Giudecca where the skeleton and skin were obtained, which were then transferred to Padua to complete the preparation. Unfortunately, the skin was eliminated in the 1920s because it was damaged, while the skeleton was restored and reassembled on the original support from the early 19th century.